Recipe: Green Vegetable Fried Rice
Recipes from The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm are those used to to inspire young people and their families to eat well through hands-on learning experiences on the farm and in the kitchen. Madeleine Fischer, program coordinator at The Sylvia Center, offers recipes that they cook with the youth, teens and families who participate in their cooking classes in the community and programs at Katchkie Farm. Follow their blog to learn more.
For its simplicity, vegetable fried rice hits all the essential qualifications for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It’s budget friendly, doesn’t involve a strict formula, welcomes any and all leftovers like scraps of vegetables or meat, and comes together in one pan in less than a half hour. As if it couldn’t get any better, the flavor and texture of this green vegetable fried rice might be its most enticing quality, and it’s what will win over you and your family.
When stir frying the vegetables in step two, it’s important to use a big enough pan so that the vegetables are not crowded and they can release their moisture quickly. Turn up the heat to high and stir constantly so that the vegetables cook quickly and are more al dente than soft. Another tip to create the right fried rice texture is to cook the rice at least a day ahead or use leftover restaurant rice. While using just-cooked rice is perfectly fine, the end result will be on the soggy side. Older or leftover rice is dryer and gives the dish its distinct chewy texture. When it all comes together, the scallions, ginger and garlic are harmoniously tucked within the vegetables, eggs and rice. Both the soy sauce and sesame oil are conservatively drizzled on top and adjusted to taste.
Green Vegetable Fried Rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 bunch scallions, sliced and divided
1 tablespoons ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 cup frozen edamame or green peas
6 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
3 eggs, lightly whisked
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 cups cooked brown rice, cold
1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and ginger, half of the scallions and sauté 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Add edamame, stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes, or until spinach has wilted.
3. Turn down the heat slightly. Make a hole in the middle of the pan by pushing veggies to the sides of pan and add eggs. Scramble eggs and then fold in with the veggies.
4. Add rice to the vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
5. Drizzle soy sauce over the rice and vegetables evenly and stir until soy sauce is evenly coated. Add sesame oil and fold in scallions. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.