Recipe: Chicken Jambalaya
If you’re in the Berkshires and need to meet with someone, in a place where you can get a nice pastry and coffee or a local/organic/homemade meal in a convivial (and wired) setting, where do you go? Very likely, it’ll be one of the two Haven Café and Bakery locations (Lenox and Great Barrington, Mass.), which are favorites on just about everyone’s list. The cafes’ motto is “Taste the Love,” and you really can. Abby Simchak Donovan, Haven’s director of marketing and special events, shares one of Haven’s tastiest offerings with Rural Intelligence readers.
I know it’s summer, and who wants to be in the kitchen? But this recipe, although it requires the oven, is a one-pot meal that’s sure to please and makes for a wonderful family meal and/or a great potluck picnic dish.
After a quick sauté, the balance of the ingredients gets thrown in together and put into the oven to bake for one hour. Any rice will do but the nutty flavor of basmati is best and if you want to elevate the flavor, sauté a minced shallot first before adding your rice and stock. Then, while your jambalaya is cooking, you can relax in your backyard with a fresh margarita in hand!
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2” pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2” pieces
1 white onion, cut into 1/2” pieces
1 andouille sausage, cut into 1/4” pieces
1 jalepeno pepper, including seeds, chopped
1 8-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes, with juice
2 tbs. smoked paprika
1 tbs. ground cumin
Vegetable or canola oil for sauté
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
3. In a large oven-proof pot, heat 2 tbs. oil over high heat until wisps of smoke are visible. Carefully place the chicken pieces into the pot and sauté until golden brown, about two minutes per side.
4. Reduce the heat to medium, add peppers, onion, andouille, jalepeno and spices. Stir, cover and let cook for four minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, stir and cover.
6. Place into oven for one hour.
7. Serve immediately over your favorite rice.