Recipe: Squash Blossoms Stuffed With Honeyed Jalapeno Goat Cheese
By Lisa Fielding of Secret Ingredients
The first time I made squash blossoms I was filled with trepidation, so if this looks daunting, you’re in good company. The good news is that the most difficult part of this recipe is handling the delicate blossoms deftly and approaching the task patiently. If you can manage that much, you’ll be rewarded with one of the most delicious summer treats — and look like a rock star chef in the process. So here goes with what is one of my most highly anticipated summer treats.
Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Honeyed Jalapeno Goat Cheese
1 dozen squash blossoms
8 oz. goat cheese
1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
3 T. honey
½ cup flour
½ cup bread crumbs
2 cups canola oil for frying
1. Gently wipe away any dirt on blossoms and pull back the petals to remove the stamen with small kitchen shears.
2. Mix goat cheese, jalapeno and honey until smooth and creamy. Place in a plastic bag and squeeze into one corner. Snip a very small hole in the bag.
3. Hold an individual blossom in one hand, peel back the petals and place the tip of the plastic bag inside and squeeze a dollop of goat cheese inside. Do not let the cheese escape the confines of the petals. Softly press them back into a closed position. Repeat.
4. Crack eggs in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
5. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dredge a blossom in flour, then dip into egg mixture and coat with bread crumbs. Repeat.
6. In a small saute pan, heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees. Test by dropping a piece of bread in the pan and if it starts to sizzle and turn golden, you’re good to go.
7. Gently drop two blossoms at a time in hot oil, cook for a minute or two and turn to the other side. Blossoms with turn golden brown. Remove from the oil and rest on paper towel lined plate. Repeat.
8. When all your blossoms are deep fried, season with salt and serve immediately. The salty crunch followed by the smooth, sweet and spicy goat cheese on your palate is all the reward you need.